Tisarana



The Three Jewels symbol, on a
Buddha footprint (bottom; the
top symbol being a Dharmachakra).
1st century CE.

The Tisarana or Trisharana, i.e. Three Refuges or Threefold Refuge, or Triratna, i.e. Three Jewels - all these refer to the following invocation, in Pali, which is a basic expression of Buddhist faith:

Buddham saranam gacchami
I take refuge in the Buddha.

Dhammam saranam gacchami
I take refuge in the Dhamma.

Sangham saranam gacchami
I take refuge in the Sangha.

In traditional Buddhist devotional chanting, the Tisarana is recited as follows:

Get this widget Share Track details

Buddham saranam gacchami
I go to the Buddha as my refuge.
Dhammam saranam gacchami
I go to the Dhamma as my refuge.
Sangham saranam gacchami
I go to the Sangha as my refuge.

Dutiyampi Buddham saranam gacchami
For the second time I go to the Buddha as my refuge.
Dutiyampi Dhammam saranam gacchami
For the second time I go to the Dhamma as my refuge.
Dutiyampi Sangham saranam gacchami
For the second time I go to the Sangha as my refuge.

Tatiyampi Buddham saranam gacchami
For the third time I go to the Buddha as my refuge.
Tatiyampi Dhammam saranam gacchami
For the third time I go to the Dhamma as my refuge.
Tatiyampi Sangham saranam gacchami
For the third time I go to the Sangha as my refuge.

This chant is accessible here.



The Pure Land school of Mahayana Buddhism takes its name from the Lotus Sutra. It teaches salvation by faith in Amitabha, a Buddha of immeasurable light. It is particularly popular in Japan and China.

Here is the Tisarana or Threefold Refuge in Chinese Pure Land chanting, from the Kong Meng San Phor Kark See Monastery in Singapore.

Get this widget Share Track details

This chant is accessible here.

No comments: