About this blog



Today 21 June (2007), the day of the summer solstice, is World Music Day as well as World Peace & Prayer Day.

To commemorate this day, I have created this Sacred Songs site. I like to think that sacred chants and songs are the soil of which all melody and singing are formed.

I have no musical training or knowledge. But from an early age, I have heard, loved and sung all kinds of songs. I started composing and singing devotional songs and chants in 1995, and as I was also studying sacred texts from different faiths, I also began setting to melody verses from sacred texts. All the songs from across the world, all the texts of different faiths, only harmonised in my consciousness.

Sacred songs - was a very personal engagement for me, something deeply fulfilling, in itself. I felt I was essentially a minstrel. I had the opportunity to share my songs with small audiences in different places, and was encouraged by their appreciation.

I wanted to share my small repertoire of songs through the internet, but with none of these having been properly recorded, and having been unable to find other musicians to help me make something of the songs - I shall try to present songs and chants in others' voices.

The songs I put up - are limited by my own (aural) awareness, and what's availabile (or rather, what I was able to find) on the internet. This is a tiny, personal compilation. All kinds of sacred songs, chants and expressions, of different faiths and peoples, are absent here. So I hope this site will be a means for me to grow in every way.

I hope singers and musicians would find this of interest. But more than that, I wish hearing these songs would enable ordinary people to feel roused, and sing. I have tried to accompany the various songs with some explanation, plus the lyrics, transcriptions and translations wherever possible.

I wish families, and friends, will find particular songs that they like, and want to learn and sing / perform these together.

This site's existence is entirely dependent on a vast web of resources, shared altruistically by so many organisations, enterprises and individuals. Hence I cannot but express my gratitude to all of them. I would be glad and grateful to get comments, suggestions and advice from visitors to this site.

Sarvamangalam, mangalam!

May all living beings, everywhere, be well!

Here's a prayer for Peace (Shanti).

Get this widget | Share | Track details


Image: Sculpture, Sacred Songs, by Bob Piercey.

16 comments:

p@tr!(k said...

good show! how about sacred music live concerts all over the country? I volunteer to help!

Kozi Wolf said...

a perfect way to celebrate!
soothe this soul!

shree said...

beautiful ,beautiful,beautiful dear Rama...i have listened all.can you post this bhajan 'Daive sneham varnichida vakyukal pora...nannicholi thirkuvani jeevitam pora'it is lovely.

rama said...

Many thanks Shree for your visit and kind comment. Thank you for the suggestion. I am happy to comply. I have put up the song. Check:

http://sacred-songs.blogspot.com/2007/06/gods-love.html

Sujata said...

A beautiful blog, food for soul.. Thanks for putting all these together..love it!

Sujata said...

Could you post "Govindam, Govindam, bhaja mere mana"

aravind said...

im new to this blog.by hearing the songs and musics.i was mismerized...first of all i want to thank the intellectuals who posted the spritual contents ....plz keep on continue these auspicious stuff......

Unknown said...

Sir,
can you please tell me the link where i can download the vachanas and save it.

blogoftreez said...

u have done a great job !!! :) keep it up

Anonymous said...

hy
thanks for all researches you did to find sacred songs.
about dil ki doyal, could you tell me please the meaning of this sacrede song of paban das baul. Thank you!

Unknown said...

loka samasta sugino bhavantu... Try and develop unity.

Anonymous said...

Today we had hanuman chalisa prayer group at my house and i had misplaced my bhajan book. Thanks to your blog i was able to sing three bhajans listed here. Thank you.

Hari om

Firoze Shakir Photographer No1 said...

great work keep it up

Josna said...

I have just found your blog and I know that I will be returning to it again and again. These sacred songs from the great archives of humanity offer refuge and renewal. Thank you, and peace be with you.

Unknown said...

Dearfriend, whoever had brought about these collection of songs, from various religions and faiths, I wish them long life, happy, joyful and health. The One Truth will bless them abundantly.



Kiwen said...

Your article is great and can be found at Pinyin Lyrics